Programs like this don't happen for free...
Water Safety Vietnam is a non-profit organisation and relies on volunteer members, trainers and teachers. All volunteer AUSTSWIM teachers that go to teach children's and community swimming programs are required to contribute to the costs of their travel as well as promoting the organisation's vision and passion for reducing the drowning rates in Vietnam. Yeh, sure you could just pay your way but that's not the point. You really need to get the message out there.In the meeting with Pam, I was told about how in Vietnam it is illegal to gamble and one way to over come this in horse racing is that the 'punters' buy the horse in the race and then the winning horse owner gets the prize money. This gave me an idea for my fundraising.
Facebook Marble Race Introduction Video
One thing I have learnt over my journey is that the amount of effort that you put into your fundraising needs to be balanced with the potential for raising funds. Get as many people involved and spread the word.
The family fun day stall was easy to organise and didn't require a lot of effort to run. All I had to do was set up and let the people come. I did have the help of Adam who had previously trailed the marble run at his fundraising swimathon and then assisted in running the stall at the Poowong Family Fun Day. The children came and played on the race, purchasing marbles to race and having fun while I had a chance to spread the Water Safety Vietnam message.
A local primary school which also as their own pool was willing to hold a gold coin donation for Earth Day with the theme of blue to represent water.
Thank you to everyone who supported my fundraising and encouraged me to participate in this amazing project.
No comments:
Post a Comment